Monday, May 30, 2011

The Olive Groves


As I am getting ready for my trip to Palestine, I find my mind flooded with joyous memories of the harvest season of the olive trees. My father would tell me, "this tree is about 2000 years old and the other one is about 100 and was planted by my grand father".  I remember him telling me that Palestine has some of the oldest olive trees in the world dating as far back as 4000 B.C.
Some of my earliest memories about olive trees were those small walks down the street from the family home where I could see endless rows and rows of ancient olive trees.  I also find myself searching family albums for photos of my beloved home town, Deir Isteyah. Almost every photo I have was taken in an olive field. I felt compelled to post some of these photos for you to see the beauty of the olive trees.

My son and my brother in my father's land in Deir Istiyah 1980.
The photo to the right was during my last visit to Palestine in the spring of 1980. As you can see, the spring in Deir Istiyah is like no other. The fields and the mountains were so colorful, like an oriental rug with all kinds of flowers. You can also see the majestic Roman olive trees that been in the family for generations.  These memories and photos bring me great joy, but also pain.
Deir Istiyah 1980
The pain comes from the fact that chances of seeing any roman olive trees when I return to Palestine are slim to nothing.

The olive trees were and still are big part of every Palestinian's culture and identity.  The harvest time was most joyous. Parents, brothers, sisters cousins, neighbors and the whole town got together to helped in gathering the olives.  Those who have planted an olive tree understand its value. The Palestinians nurtured and cared for those olive trees for centuries, just as they nurture their own children.  I grew up with those trees as if they were my shadow.   The olives from these olive trees were not only a huge part of the Palestinian economy, but as we all know now, a great source of nutrition.

Unfortunately, the conflict between the Palestinians and the Israelis that has been playing out on TV and in the media for years has also been playing out in the olive groves in every town in Palestine. What it has always been known as a symbol of peace is now an object of conflict. As a result of the illegal occupation of Palestinan land by Israel, trees from my hometown and elsewhere in Palestine are being uprooted and destroyed.  This has caused great loses for the farmers and created an environmental disaster that destroyed the Palestinian economy. This collective punishment of the uprooting and burning of the olive trees is a violation of the fourth Geneva convention and is a war crime.

Olive trees were, and still are, known as a symbol of peace and tranquility. We use the expression "hold out an olive branch"; it means you are seeking peace and harmony. The olive tree is blessed by God and was mentioned in the Qur'an, the Bible and the Torah. It is a shame that instead of extending an olive branch, the occupation has been extended. 

Amal

No comments:

Post a Comment